Do you want a new partition in your computer? Well you can use many third party softwares available online but in case you don’t believe in third party softwares you can create new partition using windows features.
While creating new drive keep in mind there are two type of partitions
- Primary partition:-It is the partition in which the operating system is kept and set active because BIOS reads the primary partition to boot OS .
- Extended partition:- This is further divided to logical drives. logical drive is the drive which can be divided to many small drives.
According to *MBR a hard disk can be divided in all the 4 drives as primary partitions or 3 primary partition and 1 logical drive. generally in partition there are three primary partitions and 1 logical drive.Further the logical drive can be divided to many disks.
*MBR(master boot record) is the information in the form of table which have data about the no. of logical and primary partitions and the drive from which OS is to be booted.
Firstly, open the disk management to check the disks status. to open disk management=>
control panel administrative tools computer management disk management.
If there are only 2 primary partitions you can create one more primary partitions.
As an example i’m creating a new primary partition as i have only two primary partitions.
- now right click on the primary drive leaving the drive C:( in which your OS is kept) and select the shrink volume option from it.
- now a window will appear in which insert the size to be shrink to create new volume Type the size in MB.As i have typed 10240 MB to create disk of 10GB. And then select shrink.
After that a new unallocated space will be shown which is used to create a new volume.
When shrink volume the primary partition will be shown as unallocated space and the logical drive as free space. And the unallocated space can’t be used to create new logical drive or vice versa with free space to create new primary drive.
Now to create new drive follow these steps:-
- right click on the unallocated space and free space for logical drive ans select the new simple volume.
- a new window will appear in which click next then in next window type the size and then click next.
- Then assign drive letter and then in next window type the way to format disk and then click finish in next window.
After that a new volume will be created. To create in volume from logical volume follow the same steps as the primary volume.