In this tutorial you will come to know about setting up virtual box for installation of operating system and installation of linux. Let’s begin with the installation of linux graphically in your system. For the practice of installation we use VirtualBox software.It will be done in two steps:-
- Setting up virtualBox.
- Installation of linux.
Setting up VirtualBox for installation of operating system.
- After installation of virtualBox in your system Open it and create a new project by selecting new button on the top left corner.
- In the next window Type name of the operating system.(use the original name so that the software can automatically choose the type and version of OS, otherwise you have to choose it manually.
- In the next window choose the amount of ram to be given to the virtual OS.(i prefer to give at least 1 GB ram other than that you can choose the ram according to your system specifications. and give the ram less than total ram otherwise your real machine will be hanged.)
- Then just click next option in all windows until it reaches to the window named ‘file location and size‘ in which at least give 25 GB to the system.
- Then click on the ‘settings‘ just side to the new option.In which go to the ‘System‘ and set boot order as hard disk then cd/dvd.
- Then move to ‘Storage’ setting where select the empty CD and on the right side of click on the cd icon and choose the ISO file of linux by browsing it in your computer.
- After setting ISO file go to ‘network‘ settings in which go to adapter2 and After enabling it select Bridge Adapter to providing the virtual OS IP address to work on networking files by using the network of your real machine.
- After that click on Ok. And your Setup for installation of Operating System is done.
Installation Of linux in VirtualBox Graphically.
- Open virtual Box and select the project which we set up earlier and click on ‘Start‘. To set up the window to full screen go to the view option and select ‘switch to scaled mode‘.
- Now in the first window just click ‘Enter‘ to start the installation.Now again in the next window it will ask for cd test you can skip it because we are using a ISO file.
- Then just click next and select options according to your preferences until it will ask for ‘Installation number‘.In it skip the Installation no. because it is a free OS so you can install it without installation number.
- Then it will show a warning which is to be skipped. And after that in next window it will ask to format the disk.so, just format the disk by clicking the yes option.
- Now in the next window select ‘Advanced storage configuration‘. Then it will lead to new window in which select free space and click on ‘new‘ to create a new partition.In which give mount point as “/” and put size in MB( give at least 20 GB from the total space) and click on OK.
- After that you can see that a new drive is created then again select free space and click on new to create a new drive. In this drive select File System Type as ‘Swap‘ and give space of that drive.(Swap is the drive which system use as ram in linux. it is similar to virtual ram in windows).
- After creating the drives click next again and again without changing anything until it asks for the Root password. Set the password of the root.(root is the main admin of the system. it is similar to the administrator in windows).
- After setting password click next again and again without changing anything until it ask of Licence Agreement in which accept the agreement. After accepting agreement click forward till ‘set up software update‘ in which select ‘no‘. Then a popup window will appear in which select option ‘connect later‘.
- Then you can leave ‘create user’ because we can create the users later. Then click on next and finish installation.Then it will lead yo to the login window in which enter username root and it’s password and then you are in your system.
Similarly, the same way you can install linux in your real system as well.Now just enjoy one of the most powerful operating system.